Costs: $40.00 Application Fee. This fee includes the issuance of a Certificate of Marriage Registration. This certificate is automatically sent by our office to the applicants within fifteen (15) calendar days after the completed license is returned by the officiant (person who performs the marriage ceremony). It serves as notice that a record of the marriage is on file. Couples who do not receive a Certificate of Marriage Registration within four (4) weeks of the wedding should contact the Town Clerk.
Approximate Time for Application to Issue: Approximately 30-45 minutes.
Where to Apply: Town of Cazenovia Municipal Office at The Gothic Cottage, 7 Albany Street in the village of Cazenovia NY 13035
Requirements: Everyone who intends to get married in New York State must obtain a marriage license from their Town or City Clerk. This license is valid for use anywhere in New York State for a period of sixty (60) days. Once the license is issued there is a 24 hour waiting period before the couple can marry.
The couple must meet the following upon filing for a marriage license:
- The bride & groom must both be present
- Be 18 years of age
- Issuance of a Marriage License to a minor at least seventeen (17) years of age, but under eighteen (18) years of age requires approval of both parents and written approval of a justice of the supreme court or a judge of the family court, having jurisdiction over the town or city in which the application is made.
- Both parties must present their Social Security cards or know their Social Security numbers.
- Both parties must present certified copies of their birth certificates.
- If applicable, both parties must present original or newly certified divorce decrees of all marriage.
The NYS marriage license application asks basic information such as mother's maiden name, your city/town of birth, birth date, address, and country of where your parents were born.
Town Clerk & Registrar of Vital Statistics
Town of Cazenovia
7 Albany Street
Cazenovia NY 13035